Johannes wrote:

> How is your printer connected, via a network router or directly to the Mac?

It is connected directly to the Mac.

> If the latter, you may have to leave the printer on and connected for a
> while before it actually assigns itself an ethernet address. This is
> because there is no network router in between to give it one.
> Once it has an address (wait something like 5-10 minutes before you
> print the config page from the printer) you will have to change that
> with Telnet, unless  you happen to have the Bonjour variety of the
> JetDirect card (I think you need a Jetdirect 620 card for this to work). You
> can use the Mac terminal to Telnet to the printer, just type
> telnet printer address (where printer address is the ethernet address on
> the config print out).

I did a cold reset of the printer.  That gave the JetDirect card an address of
192.0.0.192.  I tried to add that via the IP printing tab, but that didn't
work.  It hung forever trying to "Determine Installable Options," saying it was
"connecting to printer," but it never connected.

I opened the terminal and opened telnet.  Then I said:  open 192.0.0.192, and
was told "connect to address 192.0.0.192: Operation timed out.  Unable to
connect to remote host"

I don't remember what the protocol information used to be, but now it says
Config by:  Default IP
IP address  192.0.0.192
Subnet mask: Not Specified
idle time out (seconds):  90
bootp/dhcp server:  0.0.0.0
config file:  not specified

It also says, Appletalk status:  Ready.

Do I need to do something to turn that off?  I couldn't find it in the print
menu.

I usually can figure this stuff out.  This time, I'm stumped.

> Personally I would buy a network router (over here you get them for less
> than 20 Euros including WIFI) then you can print to the printer from any
> computer connected to the network.

I would love to have this networked.  It would add functionality, and save me a
wire.  If I buy any old network router, will it find my home wifi, add itself
to that?  After that, is all I do just plug the printer into that?

The other reason I'm reluctant to buy a usb wire is that my Macbook only has 2
usb ports, and I often need both of them.

Thank all of you for all of your help.  I feel as if I've moved this a yard
down the field, but still have 99 yards to go...

David