Am 18.11.11 19:14, schrieb David Froom:
> But I already asked the printer to tell me its IP address, and my JetDirect
> card keeps saying the address is 0.0.0.0

How is your printer connected, via a network router or directly to the Mac?

If the latter, you may have to leave the printer on and connected for a
while before it actually assigns itself an ethernet address. This is
because there is no network router in between to give it one.
Once it has an address (wait something like 5-10 minutes before you
print the config page from the printer) you will have to change that
with Telnet, unless  you happen to have the Bonjour variety of the
JetDirect card (I think you need a Jetdirect 620 card for this to work).
You can use the Mac terminal to Telnet to the printer, just type

telnet printer address (where printer address is the ethernet address on
the config print out). After that it should be relatively simple, type
help to find out what to do. You will have to give it an address on the
same network as the computer, so only the number after the last dot
should be different from your computer's address.

Personally I would buy a network router (over here you get them for less
than 20 Euros including WIFI) then you can print to the printer from any
computer connected to the network.

> I was using ethernet printing in 10.5 -- and for years with all my previous
> systems.

Well yes, but you used AppleTalk and that doesn't exist in 10.6.

> I know that the IP address SHOULD be something other than 0.0.0.0, but that's
> what it keeps saying now.

It takes a while to give itself an address, as it expects the router to
give it one.

> I used to use Telnet a million years ago, but have no idea how to reach the
> JetDirect card that way, and have no idea how I'd reset the card to force it
> to provide it's proper IP address.  Some help in that regard would be GREATLY
> appreciated.

Once the printer has a valid address Telneting is simple from the
Terminal on a Mac.

> Or, if John Blane could recommend a specific USB cable for me, that would be
> great (though probably a bit slower than ethernet printing).

That would work, but it would also take away the network capabilities of
the printer.

Johannes