Hi all,

I wanted to follow up on this for the list's benefit, now that I've
played with it for a while. I tried following the instructions in the
post Jonathan sent, but I couldn't really get it working. Though I do
see the logic of what's going on.

On the other hand, I did finally get things working to my satisfaction,
for my setup. In reading this, keep in mind that I do Speedy with the
computer keyboard in 3-octave mode, so things I say here may not apply
to other entry methods.

In the past, percussion maps let you specify what pitch you wanted to
input, what pitch you wanted output, and where on the staff you wanted
this instrument to display. In Fin11, by default the input pitch is the
same as the staff display, so if you have an instrument set up to
display on the third line of the staff, you would enter B4 to trigger
this instrument (regardless of the instrument -- you can still define
the playback instrument to be whatever you want). For me, this is
perfect, since it's the setup I always want. In the past, I was always
having to manually define the input pitch to match the staff display, so
this is easier. (I think Jonathan's method may be designed for the case
when you *don't* want input and display to be the same, so that you
could have, for example, 5 adjacent keys on your MIDI keyboard
triggering 5 different sounds which display on the 5 staff lines.)

Another benefit is that in the past, during Speedy, the instrument that
sounded during note entry corresponded to the MIDI in pitch I was
playing, not the MIDI out pitch I had mapped. So I could be entering
snare and toms but hearing whistles and guiros during input; it was only
on playback that the map was applied and I got the right sounds. Now I
hear the correct sounds during input. Another plus.

The drawback -- and I think it's a pretty big one -- is that there is a
bug related to my form of Speedy. In the piece I'm working on now, I've
got 5 percussion instruments displaying on the 5 staff lines, so the
input pitches I hit to get them are E4, G4, B4, D5, and F5. If I'm
moving among adjacent lines, there's no problem. But if I've just
entered a note on the top line and my next note is on the bottom line,
hitting E4 only moves me down one line at a time -- I have to hit the
key 4 times before I'm finally on the right line. In other words,
entering a pitch higher or lower than my current location acts as though
I've pressed the up or down arrow key, although the cursor will
eventually come to rest on the desired staff location.

There are some more nuances to this bug, and I'll take it up with support.

Aaron.