I would share you hope as the best solution too,  but a solid, or
dashed line with a fermata centered above it wouldn't look too funky
I think.

Dean

On Feb 12, 2012, at 6:17 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

> On 2/12/2012 9:00 PM, John Howell wrote:
>> Hmmm.  Sibelius has both a start (left) bracket
>> and an end (right) bracket under the Lines menu,
>> although neither is dotted.  Very handy for
>> indicating ligatures or coloration in
>> transcriptions of early notation.  Does Finale
>> lack these?
>
> Finale has these, but then I'd be placing three things in the score
> -- a
> left bracket, a fermata, and a right bracket. I think Robert's
> intention
> (and my hope) was a single custom line with a left hook, fermata in
> the
> middle, and right hook. But although Finale can put text in the middle
> of a custom line, it apparently does not break the line to do so; it
> floats the text (fermata, in this case) above the line.
>
> Aaron.

The perfect drive......a diminishing sphere of white impaling the azure
heavens in a graceful elliptic........height and distance vying for
supremacy......compatriot's jowls lax, eyes huge, their raucous paeans
thinly veiling jealousy......one stroke justifying a capricious
investment
in the titanium industry.

Dean M. Estabrook

http://sites.google.com/site/deanestabrook/