At 4:42 PM -0500 2/12/12, Aaron Sherber wrote:
>In the Barenreiter, since the violins have the same rhythm as the
>voices, they also get the indication 'colla parte'.
>
>The Dover/Peters score has slightly different  notation. You can see
>both here:
>
>     http://aaron.sherber.com/files/cosi.png
>
>(In the Peters, m.27 is a problem. The flutes should have two half note
>rests with a fermata on the first, rather than a whole note rest with a
>fermata. Otherwise, they have no way of knowing that tempo resumes on
>beat 3.)
>
>Aaron.

For what it's worth, I MUCH prefer the Peters
(except for the flutes, in which colla parte
makes no sense because they do NOT move with the
voice), because using the conventional fermata
and being careful with its placement seems much
clearer than the expanded one.  In fact the
expanded one simply looks like a weird slur in
its widest form.  OK, I'm old fashioned.  It'd
still be interesting to see Mozart's handwriting.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms