But as far as I can tell, every instance of "Mellophone" will have the same
tweaked settings, so the more tweaks you need the more instruments you have
to consume.

My understanding is Ryan wants to have some sections of his piece based on
key signature transpositions and some chromatic.  I know I certainly have
needed to do that. I don't see how this is possible (without consuming even
more canned instruments with tweaking). Clearly that choice has absolutely
nothing to do with the choice of instrument, regardless of instrument. It
points up the absurdity of enforcing such a relationship.

To add insult to injury, I discovered that if I import a file made in Fin08
that contains changes between Horn and E and F, Fin12 imports it with an
"Unknown" instrument type for Horn in E that plays back correctly. But
there is no way that I can see to select an Unknown instrument type from
within the program: the very thing one would have needed to solve this
problem! (Especially if it could then be renamed which apparently right now
it can't.)