I just replaced a 2006 iMac that I was using in my studio. It could
record fine at 44.1khz. Never more than 20 tracks.

However, if you start throwing plugins into the mix, things started
going south fast. Add say an instance of Aliverb....or a waves
compressor...then the track count on the machine dropped to maybe 6 on
a good day. Certainly couldn't get that if I did that on one drive.
And forget about doing anything at 96khz. I could get maybe 2 tracks
happening with plugins.

So, I'd still say whatever the person is going to do, having stuff
tracked to a non-system drive is the way to go

Sent from my iSomething