How many tracks are you likely to record at once?
My internal 4200rpm (as slow as they come) will record 16 tracks of 24/44
reliably.
I also use the MacBooks internal drive as my live rig playing rhodes, wurli,
piano, hammond, strings, brass..
all run as AUs inside Mainstage or DP.

So.. the internal may be fine.

I've found no difference between external 5400rpm and 7200rpm drives.
I have found FireWire to get better track counts than USB 2 on drives
enclosures with both.

I cannot reliably record even stereo to a flash drive.

I've spent years trying this stuff all ways.
For most of my work I don't get second chances because of computer stuff ups..

Steve P.