The percussion clef uses the same staff positions as the treble clef. So
MIDI 38 will appear many ledger lines below.
Make sure when defining the staff that you choose Percussion notation
rather than Standard. Since you're still using Fin2001, I don't recall the
specific steps. Things are easier in the more recent versions of Finale.
You might want to consider upgrading.