OK, I followed your instructions exactly, and the same thing happened.
Then I followed your instructions on a new document with a single staff
line and it worked perfectly.  I then created a whole new score, pasted
the other parts from the old score to the new score (except for the
snare drum line) and went to work on the snare drum line, doing it
exactly the same way.  The notes then jumped ten ledger lines below the
staff and don't sound anything like a snare drum.

WHAT?!!! (insert Jackie Chan meme image)