Definately write them and let them know how much you/we like fink.

It's nice that Apple does mention fink quite a few times on the web site, and a reference to fink is even included in a user story: (fourth link below)

fink http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/fink.html
unix ports http://www.apple.com/scitech/unixports/index.html
fink tutorial http://www.apple.com/scitech/news/
mentions fink http://www.apple.com/education/hed/macsinaction/stanfordmedical/

I for one absolutely love fink as a front-end for dpkg, and I also prefer dpkg over rpm. In fact as soon as I get a chance to update to perl 5.6 on my MkLinux box (PowerMac 6100/66) I'm going to try to "port" fink to MkLinux so I don't have to use rpm anymore (of course it will have to always build from source and not use the binary packages).

----

By the way I noticed in the Apple Darwin CVS, when I download some packages I see (what I believe are) dpkg control files along with the source code.

Could this be an indication that Apple might be updating darwin to fully support the Debian package manager (i.e adding a full dpkg database and dpkg/dselect binaries instead of just dpkg-perl scripts)?

http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/6.0/projects.html
(See for example basic_cmds)

Carsten