On Saturday, November 2, 2002, at 03:41  PM, Carsten Klapp wrote:

Definately write them and let them know how much you/we like fink.

It's nice that Apple does mention fink quite a few times on the web site, and a reference to fink is even included in a user story: (fourth link below)

fink http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/fink.html
unix ports http://www.apple.com/scitech/unixports/index.html
fink tutorial http://www.apple.com/scitech/news/
mentions fink http://www.apple.com/education/hed/macsinaction/stanfordmedical/

There is a new seminar that mentions fink quite a bit:
http://seminars.apple.com/seminarsonline/unixbased/apple/level2/ index1.html
specifically this movie mentions finkcommander and fink with a screenshot:
http://seminars.apple.com/seminarsonline/unixbased/apple/level2/video/ Ch6_final_lg.html

By the way I noticed in the Apple Darwin CVS, when I download some packages I see (what I believe are) dpkg control files along with the source code.

Could this be an indication that Apple might be updating darwin to fully support the Debian package manager (i.e adding a full dpkg database and dpkg/dselect binaries instead of just dpkg-perl scripts)?

Nope, those are obsolete. They changed to RPM because debian didn't want them using dpkg for some reason.

-Ben