Actually, Apple is doing the opposite. They are paying engineers to work on (during work time) darwinports, a fink competitor. http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/darwinports/ It may even be included with the OS. They only have around 100 packages now, so its not really worth using at this time, but fink's days may be numbered if darwinports is included with Mac OS X.

-Ben
Perhaps that might happen, but I believe Apple has avoided fully supporting X and main-stream Unix (GTK, KDE, Gnome, etc) to date as part of a grand strategy. They see that environment, which has a dangerously (to their mind-set anyway) far greater developer population than Cocoa/Aqua (read "competitive"), as a threat to Aqua/Cocoa adoption and for developer mind share as they compete with .NET and also wish to give nascent companies (like Tenon) a niche market opportunity to produce Unix "bridge" products. If Apple embraces X fully, Aqua and Cocoa would be far less necessary to develop for OS X--why deal with a completely different code base and language for multi-platform development after all when Unix has a quasi-standard already? Note: I am not knocking Cocoa--it is a fabulous technology--just reciting some of the facts about the porting and development business and ROI. I don't use Cocoa because it is non-portable in any meaningful way--which is why I like Perl, Perl/Tk, X, Java, Jython, etc. and use them instead--my skills and code have a greater potential market. My guess is that Apple want to capture some niche markets for OS X in research and academia that aren't likely to see their tools ported to Aqua in the near future. They'll keep it limited, small, and targeted to avoid tainting the general OS X Cocoa/Aqua market with fair competition (who needs that ;-) probably ensuring fink a long and useful life for those of us who want to tap into the richness and power of the Unix solutions bounty and are tired of waiting for both Godot and Aqua ports.

I for one would list fink as in the top five reasons why I use OS X, the number one desktop Unix on the planet. Congratulations to all of you who work so hard to make it work so well.

Daniel Lord
GPG Fingerprint: 160A B2C5 DB19 7F67 1BCC 3C24 C6E1 1DBE DF46 36A7
"My dancing, drinking, and singing weave me the mat
upon which my soul will sleep in the world of spirits"
-- Old Man of Halmahera, Indonesia