On Sunday, March 30, 2003, at 02:43 PM, David R. Morrison wrote:

(Depends on whether it means that people don't have to pay the author a licensing fee, or that distributors are prevented from collecting licensing fees.)

Actually, I think that clearly means that they letting you distribute it without needing to licens it from them. 'licensing' implies a permission grant made by the author, not a distributor.

So I guess the license should either be "OSI-Approved", or
"Restrictive/Distributable".  Which one shall we use?

What's restrictive about it? I see nothing.

(This is the only package in the stable tree with no license specified,
and I'd like to fix that.)

License \Li"cense\ (l[imac]"sens), n 1. Authority or liberty given to do or forbear any act; especially, a formal permission from the proper authorities to perform certain acts or to carry on a certain business, which without such permission would be illegal; a grant of permission; as, a license to preach, to practice medicine, to sell gunpowder or intoxicating liquors.

License means permission.

-Ben