Am Dienstag, 01.04.03 um 03:49 Uhr schrieb Ben Hines:

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 05:33 PM, Matt Stephenson wrote:

On Tuesday, Apr 1, 2003, at 11:17 Australia/Sydney, Ben Hines wrote:

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 02:16 AM, Matt Stephenson wrote:

I tend towards 'Restrictive/Distributable' because nothing is mentioned specifically in the glut license about distributing binaries, its just a general statement or maybe I'm being to picky.

Many licenses don't mention binaries.

I still don't see what is restrictive about this license. What is restricted?

So the only other license field we can use is 'OSI-Approved' which quote from our packaging manual "One of OSI's requirements is that free distribution of binaries and sources is allowed." I'm not saying the license is restrictive as such I just don't think it falls under OSI-Approved.

It doesn't say that distribution of binaries and sources is not allowed, though. It says "distribution is allowed without license".

Uhm, where does it say that? I only see:

"The programs are not in the public domain, but they are freely distributable without licensing fees."

Which is a difference. In fact, the only alternativs I see are:
a) Public Domain (which they exclude)
b) Some license (if that is the case, they don't mention it), be it OSI complian, restrictive or what
c) Nothing - a legal void

Right now it seems we are at c), with the exceptions that at least they tell us we can distribute it w/o a licensing fee. Alas, that doesn't actually mean that they grant us the *right* to distribute it. There are quite some software packages which are free to use but you are not allowed to distribute them, for example.

So as long as the upstream maintainer leaves us at c), a legal void, we have to assume the worst and treat a package as "Restricted".

The best solution in my eyes here would be to contact the glut creators and request a clarification by them. In the meantime, they are not OSI-Approved, because clearly an unknown license or a legal void can't be, not even in "spirit", OSI compliant.

Cheers,

Max