This can be done in the "delayed activation" option--English changes get committed but not activated immediately, and the translators are able to check them out, go over them, and can _quickly_ go over any issues.

For a brand new document, I don't see the need to make it go live immediately, anyway. Give the i18n squad a few days to go over it and understand what's in it. I plan to do this with a "How to post to the mailing lists" document that's in my queue. On the other hand, I agree that it can't be delayed indefinitely.

Also, if people are doing some iteration over the content before putting it up, then why not throw -i18n into the mix? I know very well that having multiple people work on a document slows the process down, but I'd consider the i18n people to be silent readers: they'd look at intermediate drafts and start on the translation against those, but not necessarily comment back on the content until the finished product comes out.

For urgent matters, I think that we've got to make the English portion go live, and let the translation teams catch up.