On Nov 8, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Brendan Cully wrote:

It's a nice idea, but maybe it just recapitulates the submission queue
problem in miniature? I signed up on that page two days after it was
posted. Apparently senior developers are a scarce resource...

I agree; a mentoring system seems much too formal and bureaucratic. In contrast, I remember my KDE hacking days when all I did was email a request to an admin for CVS commit access, and within a week I was checking in bug fixes to HEAD.

If Fink binaries were being built regularly under some automated system, and giving write access to just anyone might break that system, then I could understand why there would be hard restrictions on who is able to change the tree. But according to a recent thread here, this isn't happening, so I don't see what risk is trying to be averted by seriously limiting who can commit changes.

Trevor