Jack,

I've been working on the lammpi issues for the past few days, and
there is a workaround which will let us avoid creating a lammpi2
package: namely, creating symlinks in the new lammpi-shlibs which
point the old locations of the shared libraries to the new ones.
Here, I am assuming that no backwards-incompatible change to the
libraries was made.  Please confirm that this is the case.

What I'm still working on, however, is the original issue you raised
in mail to fink-devel regarding the upgrade.  The solution I
suggested, of using both Conflicts and Replaces on the old version of
lammpi, does not work if the user has lammpi-examples installed,
since lammpi-examples depends on lammpi and this prevents lammpi from
being replaced by openmpi.

So my question is: if the common files between lammpi and openmpi are
simply replaced by the ones in the openmpi package, will anything bad
result?  (This is assuming that a user installs openmpi with the old
lammpi present, and then does *not* upgrade lammpi right away.)

   -- Dave