On Jul 22, 2006, at 6:49 PM, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Dave,
>    If I understand the current situation correctly, if you attempt to
> install openmpi with the old lammpi present, it won't install because
> of conflicting files.

Well, the actual conflict is between some files in the new openmpi-
dev and the old lammpi.  By using "Replaces" but not "Conflicts", we
can get dpkg to overwrite the files which conflict, and install
openmpi-dev.  This will mean that some of the files which had been
installed by the old lammpi will have been overwritten.  My question
was whether this would be harmful or not.

If you need a list of the files in question, I can determine that.

[snip]

> We should only create symlinks for the dylib files with soversion
> numbers in them. Otherwise when MPI programs are built they would
> grab the wrong dylibs.

Yes of course.  This is the foundation of fink's system: that
versioned dylibs for different library versions can coexist, and the
unversioned dylibs are swapped back and forth by the different -dev
packages.

   -- Dave