On 17 Feb, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM, David Lowe <doctorjl...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>        The version number i have used is "2.2.0-RC1", which is faithful to
>> the upstream version.  Obviously i need to be less faithful, but what is the
>> suggested way to handle this?  Would "2.2.0-rc1" cause any problems?
>
> I forget if you are allowed to have an extra '-' (one that is not
> being used to separate the version from the revision), but you might
> want to consider how the final version number sorts relative to the RC
> versions. See this URL:
>
> http://www.finkproject.org/doc/packaging/reference.php
>
> and search for "dpkg --compare-versions".

        Got it, thanks!  "2.2.0-rc1" does sort higher than the currently
available 2.0.5 version, and passes the build-as-nobody test.  Would it be out
for place for me to ask why "2.2.0-RC1" passed 'fink validate' just fine, but
failed the build-as-nobody validation test?  I had assumed both validation
tests were identical...

Sent from my MacBookPro

"There is no remedy for sex but more sex." - Anon