On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 08:52:24AM -0800, David Lowe wrote:
> On 17 Feb, 2010, at 8:10 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:09 PM, David Lowe <doctorjl...@verizon.net>
> > wrote:
> >>        The version number i have used is "2.2.0-RC1", which is faithful to
> >> the upstream version.  Obviously i need to be less faithful, but what is
> >> the suggested way to handle this?  Would "2.2.0-rc1" cause any problems?
> >
> > I forget if you are allowed to have an extra '-' (one that is not
> > being used to separate the version from the revision), but you might
> > want to consider how the final version number sorts relative to the RC
> > versions. See this URL:
> >
> > http://www.finkproject.org/doc/packaging/reference.php
> >
> > and search for "dpkg --compare-versions".
>
>       Got it, thanks!  "2.2.0-rc1" does sort higher than the currently
> available 2.0.5 version,

A related question is what will happen when this thing gets a stable
release? I assume the "2.2.0-rc*" are release-candidates leading up to
an eventual "2.2.0". In terms of sorting, 2.0.0 < 2.2.0-rc1, so if you
use "2.2.0-rc1" now you would have to alter the version of the stable
release ("2.2.0-rel" is a solution I've seen there). Not a problem,
just a heads-up.

dan

--
Daniel Macks