Hi,
I just reran this update-fink.sh script from fink-0.11-cvs in order to see if
something had changed. I ran it while I had an old pre-jaguar distribution in /sw, so no /sw/10.2 yet. After a while, I got the following output:

Unpacking replacement fink ...
Setting up fink (0.11.0.cvs-20021101.1541) ...
Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin6.1
This system is supported and tested.
I recall seeing the above output

Needs an update...
sed 's|fink.sourceforge.net/bindist|us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download|g' < /sw/etc/apt/sources.list > /sw/etc/apt/sources.list.old
cat /sw/etc/apt/sources.list.old >> /sw/etc/apt/sources.list
rm /sw/etc/apt/sources.list.old
I don't recall seeing the above, but my looking at my /sw/etc/apt/sources.list file indicates that it took place:
[~]% cat /sw/etc/apt/sources.list
<snip>
deb http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download release main crypto
<snip>
deb http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download current main crypto

 NOTE: You have fink set up to use CVS for updates, and with this
  version of fink, the CVS setup has slightly changed.  After fink has
   finished setting up, you should immediately run 'fink selfupdate-cvs',
    'fink scanpackages', and then 'apt-get update' in order to
     complete your upgrade.

     mkdir -p /sw/fink/10.2/local/main/finkinfo
     chown -R costabel /sw/fink/10.2
     mkdir /sw/fink/10.2/CVS
     cp /sw/fink/10.1/CVS/Root /sw/fink/10.2/CVS
     chown -R costabel /sw/fink/10.2/CVS
     ln -s /sw/fink/10.2 /sw/fink/dists

     Your Fink installation in '/sw' was updated with a new fink package.

You can clearly see how the new directory structure is created.
When you run this script, don't you get this kind of messages?
I don't recall seeing the above output regarding /sw/fink/10.2 the first time I ran ./update-fink.sh, but I wasn't paying too much attention. However, the fact that I don't have a /sw/fink/10.2 directory suggests that something went wrong before or during that process. Rerunning ./update-fink.sh doesn't produce that output. I should mention that fink now shows that I have fink 0.11.0 installed:

[fink-0.11.0]% fink list fink
Information about 1452 packages read in 2 seconds.

i fink 0.11.0-1 The Fink package manager

Perhaps I should modify the ./update-fink.sh to completely rebuild fink (using the command "fink rebuild fink"), rather than simply installing it (as does the currently used "fink install fink" command), which does nothing if the package is already installed? More generally, if I want to retry the 10.2 update from a pure 10.1 state, what would I have to do to get back to that state? Reinstall fink 0.10.0?

Thanks,
Neal.