On 06 Dec 2007, at 00:11, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Robert T Wyatt wrote:
> []
>> bash-3.2$ xmms
>> dlopen(/sw/lib/xmms/Output/libOSX.so, 2): Symbol not found:
>> _osx_about
>>    Referenced from: /sw/lib/xmms/Output/libOSX.so
>>    Expected in: flat namespace
>>
>> bash-3.2$ nm -m /sw/lib/xmms/Output/libOSX.so|fgrep _osx_about
>> 00001090 (__TEXT,__text) non-external _osx_about
>
> Yes, I am seeing this now too. After looking some more, I see now what
> is different for the libOSX.so plugin with respect to the other
> plugins,
> for example libOSS.so. The difference is that xmms-coreaudio uses a
> newer libtool version, 1.5 instead of 1.4.3, and the newer version is
> more sophisticated, which is bad in this case:
>
> The newer libtool produces a command
>
>   nmedit -s .libs/libOSX-symbols.expsym .libs/libOSX.so
>
> which "strips" libOSX.so and transforms all but one external symbol
> into
> private externals. Normally this should work, because private
> externals
> should be accessible internally in the module, but it doesn't in
> this case.
>
> My educated guess is that this is a bug in Leopard's nmedit.

Do not understand fully this argument.
I have exactly the same output from the above 'nm -m' command on 10.4;
so apparently _ up to what is visible from this output _ the result
of the nmedit command is the same on 10.4 and 10.5...
(that is what made me ask rather about possible differences in ld).

Jean-Francois