I drag my file system from about  year 2001 or so when first OS X become
avalaible changing computers but never actually installing from the scratch
ironing the disk.
However recently I have an issue with FINK, X11 2.4.0, missing 2.4.1, backward
X11 (probably 2.3.3) of Snow Leopard missing files etc.
Apple field is resembling now old Windows days. It is less and less suitable
for a scientific computing if one is trying to keep a pace with  the modern.
Some program packages are dependent on as much as 100-150 other packages and
without fluent machinery it is impossible to keep pace.
Is it not a good time to abandon  X11 with its several dialects to something
more robust and modern. Is there such thing?
Should we go back to static distributions?
FF

Dr  Felix Frolow
Professor of Structural Biology and Biotechnology
Department of Molecular Microbiology
and Biotechnology
Tel Aviv University 69978, Israel

Acta Crystallographica D, co-editor