On 2/24/19 10:52 AM, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
On 23-2-2019 20:56, Lester Caine wrote:
On 23/02/2019 19:21, Paul Reeves wrote:
   It is linked to the fact that rpm installs don't allow
interaction at install time, so the security database is not
initialised.
    IIRC, rpm install 2.5 used to initialize security database using
random password for sysdba. Was it changed in 3.0?

I only know the suse packages. The security db was left unitialised.

The fresh install using the packages currently supported by SUSE Leap 15.0 defaults to 'masterke',

Shame on them...

and as always the first thing I do is change that via flamerobin.

The security database inside the distribution is already initialized with a Legacy_Auth SYSDBA only. I'm not sure why the same can't be done for SRP (or at least: isn't done for SRP).

First half of an answer is very simple - in order to avoid network server running with SYSDBA/masterkey login in default configuration. Looking at this discussion I once again notice that this protection is rather efficient :)

And that has been done in this case. My problem with the 'Compatibility chapter' on the previous install was that I was unable to access the database until I REMOVED Srp from the config file. I have no worries about the legacy system being 'less secure' simply because the only application accessing it is PHP on a local network link and I don't need any more than that so why should I have to do any more than getting a single user working?

The problem is essentially http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-5485 which Alex doesn't consider to be a bug.

If you create a single Srp user, this will go away. And you have to create a user (or users) anyway for your application(s), so why not just use Srp for that?

To be precise - if some application does not use firebird's access rights control (it's using same login for all attaches) and you are quite sure in reliability of infrastructure protecting server running firebird from undesired access I see no reason to use srp. Legacy plugin is faster - needs less CPU to establish connection. But in this case what's a need to add more plugins to configuration file?