On 10/05/2021 12:14, Vlad Khorsun wrote:

>   Correct me if I'm wrong: when client config is present and contains
> non-commented out setting DefaultTimeZone
>
> - with some value, other than "Auto"
>   such value is passed via DPB and validated on server, using
> server-side ICU
>
> - with value "Auto"
>   fbclient asks ICU about local client time zone name and put it into DPB,
>   if ICU is not found - error is raised (with some explanation, not just
> OS error)
>
>   If there is no client config or DefaultTimeZone is not set, nothing is
> added
> into DPB.
>
> Correct ?

Yes.

What should be possible for "Auto" without ICU is to write platform
specific functions that get OS time zone (as reported by them) like ICU
does and put that directly in DPB, and add special lookup function in
server that allow that non-FB (OS) time zones to be first looked-up in
ICU and transformed to FB name.

Adriano