On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 08:28:46PM -0600, Kathy Wills wrote:

> Just pinging an IP address gets timed out. The windows machine can
> only ping the linux machine. When I try to check to see if the
> firewall is loading by doing /etc/init.d/firewall as root I get the
> message that I don't have the permissions to do that so I don't know
> if the firewall is loading without errors.

Well, if you're getting a permissions error as root, there are more
serious problems.  Running just "/etc/init.d/firewall" as root should
simply give you the usage instructions.  There's nothing there that
should generate a permissions error.  Additionally, as root, there's
little you shouldn't have permission to do (if anything).  Specifically,
it should only try to source the firewall.conf file and then echo the
usage instructions:

+ . /etc/firewall.conf
+ echo 'Usage: /etc/init.d/firewall
(start|stop|restart|log|status|panic|debug|panic-debug)'
+ exit 1

The above lines are all that should execute (the parts after the +
symbol).  If you're getting a permissions error, I suspect that
something is wrong with your firewall.conf file.  Could you please
provide a copy of it as an attachment.

> the route print and the ipconfig /all on the windows machine all

This seems to be somewhat incomplete.

--
Jamin W. Collins