On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 01:41:44AM +0200, Axel Liljencrantz wrote:
> > i have a discussion item that will force a filename
> > change in anycase,
> Ok. Is it something like timestamping commands, or
> giving each command a unique id?

no, it is nothing about the format ir information stored, but simply
about the filenames or rather locations themselves.

at present, fish is putting 5 items in my homedirectory:
.fish.d/        (Directory)  .fish_read_history  (File, 77B)
.fish_history  (File, 57kB)  .fishd.tomoyo     (File, 1.1kB)
.fish_inputrc   (File, 90B)

and many other apps dropping files there too.
my homedirectory is a mess!!!

please don't do that.

take a look at what the filesystem hierarchy standard has to say about that:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#HOMEUSERHOMEDIRECTORIES
  User specific configuration files for applications are stored in the
  user's home directory in a file that starts with the '.' character (a
  "dot file"). If an application needs to create more than one dot file
  then they should be placed in a subdirectory with a name starting with a
  '.' character, (a "dot directory"). In this case the configuration files
  should not start with the '.' character.

in other words: do not create multiple files in the users homedirectory,
but please move all of them into one directory called .fish (and not
.fish.d as the .d is redundant)

the same is true for /etc
ls /etc/fish<tab>
...tc/fish   (File, 1.3kB)  ...tc/fish_inputrc  (File, 888B)
...tc/fish.d/  (Directory)
(btw it seems odd that /e is reduced to one '...' character while there
is plenty of space left.)

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#FTN.AEN540
  It is recommended that files be stored in subdirectories of /etc rather
  than directly in /etc.

fish is again doing both here for no good reason.
also here it would be nice if all files could be stored under /etc/fish/

for the home directory, it would be even nicer if all applications could
store their config files under $HOME/etc/<appname>/ or $HOME/.etc/<appname>/
but unfortunately there is currently no standard for that (and the fhs
won't accept this as a standard until a greater part of user
applications already implements it). you could however be very
progressive and implement it anyways :-)

in general, having things not spread out into multiple places makes
things like backup much easier. (with one fish config dir i could more
easely share fish setup among machines. with an $HOME/.etc/ dir i could
make a backup of just my config data, etc...)

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world