On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:25:06PM +0200, Axel Liljencrantz wrote:
> --- Martin Bähr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > skrev:
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#FTN.AEN540
> >   It is recommended that files be stored in
> > subdirectories of /etc rather
> >   than directly in /etc.
> >
> > fish is again doing both here for no good reason.
> > also here it would be nice if all files could be
> > stored under /etc/fish/
> >

> > for the home directory, it would be even nicer if
> > all applications could
> > store their config files under $HOME/etc/<appname>/
> > or $HOME/.etc/<appname>/
> > but unfortunately there is currently no standard for
> > that (and the fhs
> > won't accept this as a standard until a greater part
> > of user
> > applications already implements it). you could
> > however be very
> > progressive and implement it anyways :-)
>
> I could, but my honest opinion is that ~ is a pretty
> sane place to store the configuration files that you
> routinely want to edit. How do other people feel on
> this?

If you were to go any route that involved a . directory in ~ which
wasn't .fish*, I'd suggest following the freedesktop.org/XDG standards.
They're pushing for a .config directory which applications could put
their user specific config files.

James
--
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>