Hi Everyone

As I was saying I am new to fish but really excited about it. I spent a
few hours reading yesterday and I have some thoughts/questions.

First of all looking through the source, this is a lot of work. Is the
code base built on another project? It appears that there is about 13K
lines of fish sources code alone  and even more in C. If I wrote
something like this from scratch(and there is no way I could!) I would
definitely put a lot of work into marketing it and insuring that it is
adopted as widely as possible, it seems to me that many coders are not
always good at the latter. I am not a professional coder, I seem to have
more difficulty with so much C  code and not so much on the promotional end.

This is the statement describing fish in Ubuntu:

"""
Fish is a shell geared towards interactive use.  Its features are focused on
user friendliness and discoverability.  The language syntax is simple but
incompatible with other shell languages.
"""

I happened on this a few years ago and passed the project over. It sort
of came across as "it's fun to use but forget everything you know about
bash" I foolishly assumed things like cat, echo ls and so on were
missing. While I may be an idiot, I am not alone and people may give up
on the project after 3 seconds of contemplation, a better description
might really help.

Another thing that seems strange, the syntax looks amazing but it is
billed as mostly for interactive use, why is that? Would it not offer
more to those who write shell scripts? is this not were the sensible
syntax would be of most benefit?

The website is nice but the does seem to be a lack of resources. is
there a text editor that supports this syntax and if not why not? If not
should I try to add this or is this a mute point? Some sample code would
be good, I could try to hack some together?

It looks like there has been some adoption from the Arch Linux people
but not much elsewhere, are there troubles as default shell? If so is
this hard to circumvent?

Thanks for reading, I only code at night but I may have some other
perspectives/resources that might contribute something, I hope so, it's
seems like a wonderful project-Patrick