Hi Patrick,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Patrick Mc(avery
<patr...@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> As I was saying I am new to fish but really excited about it. I spent a
> few hours reading yesterday and I have some thoughts/questions.
>
> First of all looking through the source, this is a lot of work. Is the
> code base built on another project? It appears that there is about 13K
> lines of fish sources code alone  and even more in C. If I wrote
> something like this from scratch(and there is no way I could!) I would
> definitely put a lot of work into marketing it and insuring that it is
> adopted as widely as possible, it seems to me that many coders are not
> always good at the latter. I am not a professional coder, I seem to have
> more difficulty with so much C  code and not so much on the promotional end.
>
> This is the statement describing fish in Ubuntu:
>
> """
> Fish is a shell geared towards interactive use.  Its features are focused on
> user friendliness and discoverability.  The language syntax is simple but
> incompatible with other shell languages.
> """
>
> I happened on this a few years ago and passed the project over. It sort
> of came across as "it's fun to use but forget everything you know about
> bash" I foolishly assumed things like cat, echo ls and so on were
> missing. While I may be an idiot, I am not alone and people may give up
> on the project after 3 seconds of contemplation, a better description
> might really help.

I agree, it does not sound very positive. Would you care to suggest a
better description? The Ubuntu package maintainer would change the
description once we have a better one. I don't know who that is.

> Another thing that seems strange, the syntax looks amazing but it is
> billed as mostly for interactive use, why is that? Would it not offer
> more to those who write shell scripts? is this not were the sensible
> syntax would be of most benefit?

Yes, I think the syntax is more convenient for shell scripts too, and
it should be advertised as such, but we do have to warn that it is
incompatible with existing Posix shell scripts.

> The website is nice but the does seem to be a lack of resources. is
> there a text editor that supports this syntax and if not why not? If not
> should I try to add this or is this a mute point? Some sample code would
> be good, I could try to hack some together?

The Web main site is not very functional (it only shows "It works!"),
but the gitorious Web site has the current source code
(http://gitorious.org/fish-shell/).  There used to be a wiki with
functions and how-to's but I can't find it anymore. There is a much
smaller wiki page at the Arch Linux site:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fish

There is no text editor highlighting because no-one has made one,
though it would be useful.  Feel free to make one and post it to the
list. The people who have access to the girorious repository will
probably include it or give you access. It might be easiest to modify
the highlighting definitions for Sh or Bash. Major editors, like
Emacs, Vim and Gedit have one.

> It looks like there has been some adoption from the Arch Linux people
> but not much elsewhere, are there troubles as default shell? If so is
> this hard to circumvent?

I used Fish as a default shell for a few years, and it worked without
problems for me. That was about 4 years ago.

> Thanks for reading, I only code at night but I may have some other
> perspectives/resources that might contribute something, I hope so, it's
> seems like a wonderful project-Patrick

Looking forward to your contributions! Regards,
Philip