Hum... I use fish as the login shell on Archlinux. Yes, I had run into
trouble after an update a while ago. But worst come to worst, if you have
root access, you can rectify the problem. Just keep the root login shell as
bash.

Also, I haven't run into any trouble with fish for a while (almost a year).

Pong