On 11-07-07 05:45 PM, Philip Ganchev wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Patrick Mc(avery
> <patr...@spellingbeewinnars.org>  wrote:
>
> [...]
>> How about something like this for a description:
>>
>> Fish allows for shell scripting with a modern, intuitive syntax. You can do
>> nearly everything that you can do in a standard POSIX shell with Fish but
>> due to the friendly syntax POSIX shell scripts must be ported to Fish and
>> vice versa.
> [...]
>
> That's nice, though the description should probably mention the other
> strengths of Fish. I think the design document
> (http://fishshell.com/user_doc/design.html ) would help a lot. Also,
> why "do nearly everything", you can do anything? How about something
> like this:
>
> The friendly interactive shell is a command shell designed to be
> simple, powerful, consistent and discoverable. It has syntax
> highlighting, intelligent tab completion, helpful error messages and
> easy history search. .
>
> Regards,
> Philip

Hi Philip

Very nice. The last sentence:
"

The syntax is cleaner than POSIX shell syntax and
lets do anything that you can do in POSIX shells"

Does alert people that fish is not a posix shell without saying "can't do". My
version was a little more explicit but I like yours too. Both of these versions
are a hell of a lot more positive then what is there now. I also think your
description is better because it points out more specifics such as tab
completion.

:) Patrick

P.S Still have not heard back from Alex, he is alive making commits on github