* paul:

> fish does indeed not have the […]-globs.

So it's not just a lack of search-fu. Bummer.

> I didn't even know Bash had those, and tbh I'm not convinced they are
> that useful, since they only match one char.

They have frequently proven useful to me. For more complex tasks awk,
find, sed, xargs et al exist, but as "rm [b-k]*" shows, Bash globbing
can be enough.

> The only fish-native commands that supports regex is `string`, so the
> shortest fish-only equivalent would probably be
> `rm (string match -r '^[b-k].*' *)`

This has been suggested to me off-list as well. At least "string" is a
fish builtin, but it still feels too elaborate. "find -regex ..." would
work, but like I wrote, I'd rather avoid using additional commands if
simpler options exist.

Well, if that's a known fish weakness, I'll have to live with it. Fish
has many strengths to make up for it. I mostly wanted to rule out having
missed some obvious solution.

-Ralph


_______________________________________________
Fish-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fish-users

Reply via email to