That's fair, but aliases, functions, and abbreviations are idiomatic fish
in my opinion. One of its best features is the flexible ways its syntax can
be extended.

If you don't want to use it you don't have to. I understand the desire to
not be tied to customizations, especially if you tend to hop from box to
box. But characterizing those extension mechanisms as 'external commands or
scripts' is inaccurate, and dismissing them leaves some of the power of
fish underutilized.

On Sat, Oct 3, 2026 at 3:10 PM Ralph Seichter via Fish-users <
[email protected]> wrote:

> * Myrddin Emrys:
>
> > function rmr [...]
>
> As I stated from the beginning, I want neither external commands nor
> scripts. That's easy to do in various ways, as the suggestions posted
> in this message thread demonstrate.
>
> I am explicitly (and only) looking for something idiomatic to fish, but
> as brief and effortless as the Bash version of "rm [b-k]*". There is no
> point in anything else, and apparently fish can't do it.
>
> -Ralph
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Fish-users mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fish-users
>
_______________________________________________
Fish-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fish-users

Reply via email to