This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "Karen Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> at the local therapeutic
> riding center where there is a Fjord in residence.  She is a late teen,
> maybe 20 year old mare.  When I last saw her a little over a year ago, she
> was pretty darn obese and sadly has a broken crest.  I was told she is on
> thyroid meds and that caused her to be fat.

My old Nansy mare was on Thyro-L for many years.  However, it was
prescribed BECAUSE she was obese, and it helped her to lose that
weight.

> So, first question would be what is a normal thyroid level in Fjords?  Does
> anyone have their Fjord on thyroid meds?  BTW, this mare foams at the mouth,
> and the explanation is the thyroid meds make her do that.

Not sure what Fjord-normal values are.  Nansy tested slightly below
the normal level, but she certainly fit the physical profile---cresty
neck, gained weight on high-calorie air, and (my favorite) "a
temperament so unflappable as to be almost nonexistant"!  Adding
Thyro-L to her diet perked her up and slimmed her down.  In
retrospect, she probably did not have a thyroid problem, but the
beginnings of insulin resistance.  Eventually, she progressed to
Cushings syndrome.

Interesting about "foaming at the mouth".  Nansy slobbered---a lot.
I didn't connect it to the Thyro-L, but it is possible.  OTOH, we've
had several discussions here about slobbery Fjords, very few of whom
were on medication.

> Does a broken crest ever resolve?  I told him I didn't
> think so, but maybe someone has some input.  It's sad to see that lovely
> dorsal stripe be interrupted and hang over sideways.  :^(

I don't know about Fjords, but when a fat donkey gets a broken crest,
it's there forever.  It can be reduced somewhat, but the structure
never repairs itself.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon