This message is from: Tamara Rousso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Thursday, August 5, 2004, at 05:38 AM, Ruth Bushnell wrote:

You can talk all you want about the cross bred being a darling horse and their life worth as much as a purebred, (but certainly not their net worth)
and I can agree with that, but when you start promoting the practice of
cross breeding I see red!

I didn't interpret the post as promoting cross breeding. That has been done by the PMU ranchers already and as long as Premarin holds a market that will continue. Menopausal women - forgo the premarin! I think the person who posted has a big heart and was trying to save some babies and was hopeful that those of us that love Fjords would be more likely to rescue if Fjord blood was involved. I actually offered to geld a Fjord cross stallion on a Canadian ranch that was described as docile if someone would adopt him. I've no more room, and the thought of that wonderful Fjord disposition going to the meat man made me too sad. There were (are) many stallions in need, but because I love Fjords that is the one I wanted to help. That said (and before you breeders start flaming away) I do have to say that if you want a FJORD you need to get a purebred and you need to be darn picky about the breeder. I do not breed Fjords, but have experience breeding and buying other purebreds. The best way to be happy with the Fjord you get is to look at the breeder's program and spend the time researching. I recently had a thoroughbred breeder chastise me for adopting a PMU mare because it hurt her foal market. I don't agree. First of all I wasn't in the market for a horse - I only did it because I love animals and wanted to save a horse that would otherwise become someone's dinner. Secondly I would never buy a Thoroughbred anyway. And I am holding dear to the day when we move and have more land of getting a second Fjord. Speaking of which I contacted a breeder who occassionally posts on this list and requested a tour while we are vacationing near them. I never heard back. Is it possible said breeder knows from the list I can't buy right now and so doesn't want to "waste their time". If so shame! I'll be looking somewhere more hospitable when the time comes...

Tamara Rousso
Fallbrook CA - where WNV has just reared its ugly head

www.algedifarm.com