This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "John D. Herr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I would only add a question for people to ponder.
>   What do the wild horses around the world do to protect there
> feet from wearing out?

1. Wild horses can (for the most part) choose the footing they walk on
   and the speed at which they move.

2. Wild horses tend to avoid letting anyone increase their hoof

3. Wild horses also avoid letting anyone hitch them to vehicles that
   (with driver and cargo) weigh 500--2000 lb.

4. Wild horses undergo "natural selection"---the ones with crummy feet
   become someone's lunch.

Man has interfered significantly with domesticated horses.  He breeds
them for color, or speed, or pulling power, often to the detriment of
the soundness of their legs and hooves.  He saddles or harnesses them,
and mandates that they work at gaits of his choosing, on surfaces of
his choosing---including stuff like concrete or asphalt.  He dictates
their diet, and how much (or little) exercise they get when not "at
work".

There is darned little that's "natural" about modern domesticated
horses.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon