This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 9/13/2003 9:56:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Barefooted is fine.   HOWEVER, if you are doing your homework and putting in
the miles required to do a good job, the wear will exceed the growth.   I
[ponies] wear steel shoes out in about 6 , or 7 weeks when in moderate
training.   There is no way that I could get by going barefooted.    Sure wish
I could, much better for the horse.

*** This is a commonly stated logic with just one flaw: steel shoes don't
grow -- hooves do. Not only do they grow, they grow as  needed. Barefoot
endurance riders report fantastic growth after long treks.

Not trying to make any converts here -- you'll do what you think is best --
just pointing out that barefoot is possible for any work load.

I once joked to the owner of a trail riding string that she'd put me out of
business hoof trimming if she went barefoot with her herd. The long daily walks
would self-trim and maintain themselves. She smiled and said no, her horses
need shoes [and she needs to pay $150 x 20 every 6 weeks].

/ )_~
/L/L
Brigid Wasson
SF Bay Area, CA