This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brigid wrote:
"...The long daily walks would self-trim and maintain themselves...."

um .... Am I the only one besides Brigid who has found that barefoot Fjords usually do their own hoof trimming?

I have had a very difficult time finding a reliable farrier in the past few years. My old farrier often asked if I trimmed my horses' hooves, because about all he ever did to them was a light trim and rasp 2 or 3 times a year. (My answer: No, I seldom trim my horses' hooves unless I needed to fix a serious chip.)

My horses run on rocky pasture that has a large, steep hillside and several steep terrace banks to play on. Their feet usually look very nice, even without the help of a farrier. Sometimes their toes get a bit long in spring & early summer, but the extra length quickly wears off on its own in a few weeks.

I have been considering getting Old Macs for the times when we trail ride and the horses must carry us on our limestone gravel roads. They do "ouch" a bit then.

DeeAnna