This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> "DeeAnna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>
> .... Am I the only one besides Brigid who has found that barefoot
> Fjords usually do their own hoof trimming?
> [...]
> My horses run on rocky pasture that has a large, steep hillside and
> several steep terrace banks to play on.

My experience is that it all depends on the footing.  In California,
my Fjords were on gravelled corrals.  When I tried to leave them
barefoot, their hooves wore down faster than they grew (especially the
old mare), until they were "walking on eggshells".  It was marginally
OK in the winter, when the ground was soft; come summer, they were
really ouching around, even in the corrals, "asking" to have their
shoes back.  Once the ground hardened up, my somewhat flat-footed
gelding needed pads under his shoes to keep him from rock-bruising on
our trail rides.  Something about the mineral content of the
soil/gravel and/or the seasonal wet/dry cycle there caused their
hooves to become very dry and chippy.

Here in Oregon, my Fjords are on nice sandy-loam soil in their corrals
(dry lots---they only get 2 hours per day of pasture time, which they
spend eating as fast as they can).  I'm able to leave them barefoot;
they have grown out nice, moist, chip-free hooves.  However, they DO
need to be trimmed.  The farrier stretched his appointment out to 9
weeks last time, and cut over 1/2" of hoof off of one gelding, 3/8"
off the other.  These guys spend much of their day with one gelding
"round penning" the other (at the walk), but that's not enough to wear
their hooves down.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
15 mi SW of Roseburg, Oregon