This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- "Turcotte, Dianne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: "Turcotte, Dianne"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I'm all for being PC, but I did notice that there
> was no direct reference to
> the Amish in that version of the joke.

That's right.  I haven't seen the version which refers
specifically to the Amish.  This particular version
could have referred to any number of people who
regularly travel by horse and buggy.  In certain parts
of the country that was a lot of us at one time.  This
particular version of the joke is not dated either, so
to those of us who regularly read publications which
pull their articles and humor from a past time this
could have referred to a past time.  I for one did not
take it as a slur on the Amish - didn't even really
get a picture of an Amish woman driving the buggy.  It
could have been any one of us with a "no brakes" stud
hitched up!  Seems a rather ingenious solution to a
very annoying problem!  I sure knew some fellows in
the town where I grew up who would have used that
solution, had they thought of it!

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman