This message is from: Ingrid Ivic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am so tired of my mental block about cantering.
>
> Please, let me know what works for you as long as it is not illegal,
> immoral or fattening.
>
> Many thanks,
> Kari Ann

  Hi there Kari,
    What happend at the canter that has you worried? Did you slip off or
were you hurt? Sorry to hear you are having a tough time with it, but I
can understand.
    From personal experience, I had a phobia about cantering at one time
too. Years ago, I owned and rode a  large, fashionable horse totally
unsuitable for me. I was hurt a few times by this horse and soon didn't
want to trot, let alone canter anymore. He was eventually sold to
someone with the skill (and guts!) to handle him. And yes, the buyer was
told about all his flaws and hot headedness. Luckily, they love him
anyway, with all his quirks and still own him to this day.
    The best advice I can give you is ride a reliable, sane and sweet
horse. Either a lesson horse or one that is very dependable. Work in a
controlled, fenced-in environment, preferably with someone (an
instructor or knowledgable friend) sympathetic to your needs, that won't
push you to do more than you are ready for. Set small goals and work up
from there...don't overface yourself. When you are ready, canter just
the short side of an arena or in a large circle if that helps you feel
more in control. Baby steps are the key. It may take you a while to feel
comfortable, but it will happen with a horse you can trust.
    PS....after my large, fashionable horse went bye, bye...I bought my
first fjord! Who, by the way, is my new fashionable friend! Yeah...he's
a little large too...just in the other direction....hee-hee...only
kidding!
Best of Luck to you!
Ingrid   :o)