This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Carol--

Wednesday, September 27, 2000, you wrote:

> Not to sound morbid, but I can't think of a better way to go than
> when I am riding my horse. I do not wear a helmet and never plan to.

  I have heard the argument from friends who refuse to wear a helmet
  that they too can think of no better way to die than riding. That is
  certainly a great romantic picture. However it doesn't take into
  account the better probability of not dying, but ending up in a
  permanent vegetative state, or at least robbed of so much mental
  capacity that they will never ride again except in therapeutic
  programs. Considering that modern helmets are more comfortable to
  wear than baseball caps and take two seconds to put on, it's just
  not worth the risk. I for one do not want to spend the rest of my
  days drooling in the corner of some VA ward.

--
Steve McIlree -- Pferd & Skipper -- Omaha, Nebraska, USA
  A canter is the cure for every evil. --Benjamin Disraeli(1804-1881)