This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/1/2002 12:55:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Hi Pam,
> The reason I say 9-10 years for breeding is not only because of the record
> behind the horse, but the horse has also matured enough in the bone
> structure and emotionally. I would like to compare breeding three and four
> year olds to prengant teenagers, they might be hormonally ready, but they
> are far from structurally sound and emotionally ready. They are still
> growing, still maturing.

I understand and respect your opinion, though mine is a bit different.   When
I bought my best mare, she was 5 years old and had a foal by her side.  And
has had 2 more since (the last one being our new little baby).  She was very
laid back and a great mom for all three, and her body was very strong and
fit.   The only thing we really lose out on is riding and training the last
trimester, and obviously we cannot go out and do a lot of riding till weaning
(though I do know a lof of people take the babies with them, I'm not
comfortable enough doing that, at this point).   I see breeding a 3-4 year
old less like a teen having a baby than a 20-something woman having a baby.
Their bodies are young, strong and resilient.  As they get older, the uterus
tends to pool more, and the uterus isn't quite as resilient.   At least that
is my understanding from what our vets say.

Still, your philosophy does make sense to me.  And I'm certain your breeding
program works well for you!  One thing I've noticed about horses and
horsemanship.... there are many, many different ways to do the same thing,
and many of those ways are very valid.  More a matter of personal style and
preference.  :)  A friend of mine who raises lovely appaloosas handles her
youngsters in the complete opposite way I handle mine.  But when those babies
grow up, the horses from both of our farms tend to be sane, have good manners
and are very pleasant for our buyers!

Pamela