This message is from: "Kelly Gage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Pam,
The reason I say 9-10 years for breeding is not only because of the record behind the horse, but the horse has also matured enough in the bone structure and emotionally. I would like to compare breeding three and four year olds to prengant teenagers, they might be hormonally ready, but they are far from structurally sound and emotionally ready. They are still growing, still maturing.

I know most people on here breed for pleasure, or to have the occasional foal. If I breed a horse, or any animal, I'm seriously going to have to like the animal(as a whole), know its performance record, and must meet all ideal of the breed. Otherwise it doesn't get bred. The ideal of breeding (for me at least) is to better the breed. By waiting, I know what I have, and the value of the foal increases dramatically.

By performance record, I don't necessarily mean under saddle, a consistant conformation and movement winner with good lines is just as good.

JMHO.

Kelly

"... do not feel overwhelmed by the length of this journey. All you ever need to do is focus on one thing, what you are doing. Stay on the path and put one foot in front of the other - that is all. There is joy in the struggle."
-P.T.Sudo