This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 6/1/2002 6:27:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> 3) I wouldn't breed a mare until she has proven herself in the show ring for
>
> many years. So I say not until 9 or 10 years old.

I agree with most of your post except for this one!  Heartily.  But then, I'm
not into showing horses at all.  I like to use my horses for various
purposes, but for myself, don't see much point in spending a lot of time and
energy on show clothes, money for classes, money for all the other essentials
for shows and ending up with a silly little ribbon.  I know, I know, a lot of
it is reputation, yeah, sure.  But given a choice of a lovely trail ride,
teaching a handicapped child to ride, or some other useful, fun thing to do
with a horse, and then a choice to show.... guess what I'd pick!

That having been said, the world would be missing some wonderful horses if
mares were not bred until 9 or 10 years of age.  Brian wrote a good post
several years ago about breeding age, and I wish I still had it.  But if you
know you've got a good horse, with a great temperment, flawless conformation
and also ability, there is no reason to not breed a mare that is unproven in
the show circuit.  JMO.

Pamela