This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 5/1/2002 6:49:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I decided to geld my colts that year just prior to weaning so that
> they could get healed nicely before I took them away from their moms.
> Didn't
> want to do those things too close together so they wouldn't be overly
> stressed.
>
> It worked out wonderfully well, colts healed quite quickly, and by the time
>
> they went to their new homes, it was all said and done and I didn't have to
>
> worry about whether the new owner was going to cut them.
>
> I have since been gelding all of my colts prior to them leaving my
> possession.

Gayle:

I wholeheartedly agree with this; we've done the same thing with both of the
colts we've had so far.  Cutting while they are still on the mare does make
it a bit less stressfull on the little guy. And of course it makes it so you
don't have to worry about whether the new owner gelds or not.  More breeders
(both the "big" ones and the "back yard" breeders - nothing derogatory meant
for either one) should take this BIG responsibility on themselves, rather
than leaving the decision up to a purchaser who may have no clue as to
whether they have a "stallion quality" colt or not.

Amy

Amy Evers
Dun Lookin' Fjords
Redmond, OR