This message is from: "Sue Clark-Sorger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I shared with you all about 6 weeks ago that I was parting with my 2 fjords
due to my medical problems.
I sent them both to Patti Jo Walter in Wisconsin and she found a buyer for
Kez the gelding. During the pre-purchase
vet check, Kez was found to have a heart murmur. Many horses have heart
murmurs so I asked Patti Jo to keep on with her training of him
until we had more testing done. Kez has never show any indication of heart
problems at all. Today Kez had an echocardiogram and the finding were
both incredible and heartbreaking. Kez's heart in totally backwards and is
much more forward in his chest than normal, the vets doing the scan thought
he was missing half of his heart because they couldn't find it until they
tried on the other side of his body. Kez also has a good sized hole in his
heart and a leaking valve.
He is totally unrideable as his heart could just give up just like that.
Again he has show no indication of any problems what so ever. Patti Jo has
been riding
him for the past 5 weeks trotting and cantering out on the trail and he has
shown no sign of distress. The vets say this is a birth defect and said that
often heart murmurs they are not
heard until the horse is mature, Kez is 6 years old. Some of you will
remember that I raised Kez when his mother died while in labor with him. I
just couldn't afford to
have an autopsy to find out why, at the time my focus was on the living not
the dead. Now I wonder if she had the same problem and the pregnancy and the
labor was just
to much for her heart.
So Kez is coming home to New Mexico, the decisions I made to breed his
mother are why he is here and I am responsible. I am going to have to be
inventive about how to keep an active young horse busy that doesn't know how
sick he is. Yes, I could put him down, but to all outward appearances he is
a healthy horse, that may change and that decision may have to be made in
the future. My medical problems have not changed but we will manage and  we
feel this is the right thing to do.
If any of you have ever heard of conditions like this I would be interested
in hearing from you and of your experiences.

My mare Heather is leased for the next year, so I know she is set, she may
be sold in the future but not now.

Thanks for allowing me to share, Fjord people are just the best.

Sue

Sue Clark-Sorger
Crown Oak Fjords
Sandia Park NM