This message is from: Heather Baskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Kate
Joe's horseanality sounds so much like Henry's!!!   LBI that can be
unconfident (but not fearful - yes there is a difference!!!) and RB in
unfamiliar surroundings.  I know he is not looking at me as the leader "yet"
(my marshmallow personality shining brightly!) and I am trying my darndest at
times - but his horseanality is different/new/intriguing for me and I am still
trying to learn how to "read" him (i.e., unconfident/fearful/confident but not
motivated, etc.etc.etc.).  Then, when I push him - he can at times push back
and I must mirror/match and oh my!  this has been a great learning experience,
that's for sure.  But - each day gets better and better.  Last week, we
"joined up" at liberty in the outdoor sand ring (no round pen where I board)
and Henry stuck to me like glue.  It was magical to state the least.  Then, at
other times (last night - LOL!) - he takes root and is firmly planted.
Tonight
- we were more "connected" with fewer "plantations" and more joining up (on
line, but with incredible slack in the line) towards the end of the night.
It's the sudden taking root to the ground that throws me (it can come out of
nowhere).
"In the beginning ..." I tried treats, but Henry was pushy and rude
about it - so I cut them all out.  Now, 6 weeks later - I have re-introducted
treats "from time to time" and only if he has done something really great.  He
is not pushy anymore with the treats, but I exercise caution to not go down
that road.  I can see treats being a great motivator for him.  In fact, I did
it once (experimenting) when he was "planted" and didn't want to enter the
arena.  Pulled a cookie out and that neck stretched out as much as it could -
LOL!! before he decided that if he moved his feet - he might just get that
cookie (and into the arena he went!).  But again, because of his pushiness in
the beginning, I am being cautious about the usage of treats.  Hopefully, I
can build up enough savvy to use them with purpose :-)
Thank you so much for
your reply - it is greatly appreciated.
Heather & Henry
Playing Naturally ...